Thursday, July 18, 2013

cabbage patch aka Strawberry Fields quilt ~

Material Obsession

large floral squares ~ cabbages

cornerstones ~ floral, dot, solid
 
cornerstone next to floral
One day my husband asked me if I would take a drive with him to the center of the county, Ramona to be exact. He needed to pick up a pressure washer from a friend. He said if I came that he would drop me off at the quilt shop there but I would only have 15 minutes or so. I said of course! How much trouble can you get into in 15 minutes. While wandering around I saw the cabbage fabric from Phillip Jacobs and I just had to have some. Didn't quite know what I was going to do with it but it was a 'have to have'! As I was making my purchase it was time to go. I placed it in my stash and later that day I thought about the quilt Strawberry Fields in the Material Obsession book. I had been collecting floral/strawberry fabric here and there. But this will be great! 

Two days later I had to drive back up to Ramona, by myself, and I took a detour as a reward for a job well done. With the help of the ladies, I purchased the remaining fabrics. If you are ever in Ramona stop by the Crazy Nine Patch quilt shop. They are very friendly and have a great selection. 

I had a little trouble with the cornerstones, so I would add that trimming/squaring is essential before you add the final triangle. First mine were too big then too small.  I took apart three of the cornerstones before I finally figured it out. 

So today I will sew the frames and see if everything is going to fit. I am a little nervous. This is a different project for me and a little challenging. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment