Friday, September 10, 2010

Pinwheel Dolly Quilt

Friday 9/10/2010

So I am incorporating some better sewing habits such as reading all the instructions before beginning a project, pre-washing fabric and ironing. It was suggested to me to use 'color catchers' in the wash to catch and set the fabric color. These are very cool and now I have 10 or so 'color catchers' in various colors. They are 4 1/2 X 10 inches...I will have to find a project of some sort.

I came across the Pinwheel Dolly Quilt on a blog I like to follow, V and Co.,. She has a tutorial on how to make pinwheels, something I had never done before.


This is the cute blog I came across that inspired me to learn how to make pinwheels and a dolly quilt







Maybe someday I will make something big and beautiful like this...
Posted by Picasa

I used Kona Cotton in Snow that I had left over from my 'Hawaiian Postcards' quilt...my first pieced quilt.







Using Omnigrid templates, I cut out both 2 1/2" and 4 1/2" squares...I just figured while I was cutting I could use up the fabric and have some squares cut for a project in the future.
Posted by Picasa


All the pretty fabrics. Heather Bailey, Michael Miller and others...I forgot to save the selvedges.







I have them stacked and alternating from print to solid.





                                        
2 1/2" and 4 1/2" squares

Posted by Picasa

I drew a line along the diagonal. Then drew lines 1/4" from the diagonal for the seams.







I stitched along the two lines, cut along the middle.
Posted by Picasa


All the 1/4 pinwheels ironed and stacked.








All four squares sewn together to make 1 pinwheel.






9 pinwheels
Posted by Picasa

Following the tutorial I added the sides, Kona Cotton in Snow and then added this pretty hibiscus flower pink fabric.









Another border of Snow






Big bright daisies for the backing and for the batting I used 'Warm & Natural'.






Ta Da! I used the binding technique I learned on the internet on Heather Bailey's blog/tutorials
Posted by Picasa

I have to say I felt very proud of myself and making pinwheels is very addictive and fun. I finished this quilt on 8/8/2010...1 down 11 to go!

I am still playing catch-up so I will get to documenting the 'Ice Cream Social Dress', an Oliver & S pattern, I made. There are some left-over scraps from the dress in the quilt. I have learned to keep my scraps so I can make cute little dolly quilts or anything else crafty I happen to find on the internet.

Happy sewing!




No comments:

Post a Comment