Thursday, May 9, 2013

16 patch - jelly roll style ~ Part 1 arranging & cutting


Last year I created a tutorial for a linen project bag and published it here for Mother's Day.

This Mother's Day I had every intention to create this tutorial early so that if you wanted to create this quit as a gift you would have plenty of time. I had the best of intentions ~

I am using the remaining strips, from a jelly roll I purchased years ago, that I used for my Granny Square quilt from Blue Elephant Stitches blog. I had half of a jelly roll left and thought about the best way to use it up. I have been drawn to scrappy 16 patch quilt tops seen here and there in blog land. No individual quilt stands out, I like them all.

So with 20 strips of 2-1/2" fabric, arrange as follows:

remaining jelly roll strips from 'Granny Square' quilt top
paired up
10 1/2" cut
Yield- 4 solid pink and 4 brown floral
You will have 4 lengths of 10 1/2" from each strip
right  sides together
Using 2 of the solid pink and 2 of the brown floral, stack together. These strips will complete one block
 Remaining 2nd cut-  2-10 1/2" strips to be paired with different fabric
Reserve remaining strips to be paired with different fabrics.

all stacked and ready to sew
Now that your strips are cut and arranged we will sew next. This is very quick and easy.

Hope you enjoy it and the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment