Wednesday, November 6, 2013

craving ~

Meyer lemons in season November
glazed sweet and tart ~ Perfect
Second loaf ~ looks like a bird 
Lemon ~ I made two tea cakes this morning and had a slice for lunch, yum!

I had searched high and low for recipes on the internet and found a couple to try. What they all contain is dairy which I can no longer eat. Yep, no milk, ice cream, cheese or yogurt. It is a sad state of affairs. So I must adapt recipes to fit my level of tolerance. I have found that whipping coconut cream is almost like heavy whipping cream, substituting milk with almond milk and omitting cheese from my diet causes me less distress. So the following recipe is adapted from Jennette Ordas' adapted recipe that I found during my search.

Preheat oven to 350
butter and flour 8"x 5" pan

Cake:
cream 3/4 cup sugar with 1/4 cup butter (I used salted)
add zest from one large Meyer lemon. In season now!
add 1 large egg and 2 TBSP yogurt ( flavored or plain I used greek style) mix to blend well
add 1/2 cup milk, almond milk or coconut milk (not cream) I used coconut milk

In separate bowl- 1 1/2 cups AP flour and 1 tsp baking powder. Mix, sift or stir together

Fold in flour mixture to butter/egg mixture until just blended
Spread into pan and cook for one hour - rotating half way through cooking

Cake is done when it is golden brown and sides pull away from pan

For the glaze I used the juice from one Meyer lemon and 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
Mix together well so sugar is completely dissolved

I squeeze my lemons over a fine mesh strainer to catch all the seeds


Let the lemon loaf sit for a few minutes in pan. Place on serving dish and pour glaze over the warm loaf top slowly

I was impatient and cut a slice before it was completely cooled, oops. Allow to cool completely it will cut nicely

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment