Monday, August 12, 2013

what I learned this weekend ~

During our meeting I finished another block from the 163 Patchwork Favorites. I might a have long pause here, only because the next quilt block looks rather complicated. I could make it with more seams but I will attempt it the way it is shown. 
Keep the seam ripper close...

clown block pg 17 from 163 Patchwork Favorites
While at the SDMQG meeting this weekend a member gave a very informative talk and lesson in regards to binding quilts, including types of binding, cutting fabric for binding, applying binding and hand stitching. Who knew? I learned there was more to binding that I ever thought and certainly more to consider. There are probably a few things I could change for the better for future quilts. Thank you Julie!


binding on one of the quilts for the twins
coiled around the extension table foot
love my juki
Another member brought in her Juki and we started to chat about all things we love about this machine. I typically sew the binding on after I have free-motion quilted using my Juki because it is on my sewing table. It is a heavy machine to take up and down. I found winding the binding up and placing it under the foot of the extension table to be a rather clever way to keep it off the floor and to keep it from get all tangled up. 

Have a great week and happy sewing

No comments:

Post a Comment