Monday, November 25, 2013

Monday Monday ~

cranberry for pie
 
veggies for gravy
make ahead gravy
 
dirty dishes

La la la la la la...singing a tune by The Mamas and the Papas...that dates me!

Today I will be preparing the make ahead items for our Thanksgiving Day Feast ~

cranberry sauce for the Apple Cranberry Pie &
Make ahead gravy

Now I vowed never to make the apple-cranberry pie after the first one. I was a test kitchen for Cook's Illustrated and in the summer months they sent out the recipe for the pie. It took longer than stated, dirtied every dish in my kitchen and I made me tired. I gave it a bad review and stated all the reasons why. In the mail came the winter quarterly magazine and in it was the very pie recipe that I hated. Since then, I have figured out how to like it, you see making the individual components ahead of time is the perfect solution. (They state this at the beginning of the recipe. Always read your recipes first.) It has been a family favorite since the very first time. I too love the flavor combination. It is a great pie for Fall celebrations.

I know it sounds weird to make the gravy days before...but it is so good and the secret is to add the juices from the turkey on the big day. It is quick and delicious. Carrot, onion and celery, butter, flour and chicken broth, yum. I do not know where I found the original recipe I use but you can find it everywhere in blog land.

Another reason to make things ahead of time is the 'dish factor'. The picture above is the second half of what I did today. whew!

I can take the rest of the day off?

What do you prepare ahead of time to make your life easier?

Tomorrow is Tuesday and 2 more item to make ahead...


No comments:

Post a Comment